Thursday, June 11, 2009

An Inception & An End

I
...open my eyes and see that the buildings and shophouses have been replaced with wooden huts erected sporadically on wide open padi fields, narrow winding roads have taken the place of wide freeways. I know I'm close. Arriving minutes later at a tucked-away little serene retreat, I summarily consume the welcome drink and took the hot towel out of gratitude for the show of hospitality. I have other concerns; my whole body is tingling with nervousness and excitement as I scan the vicinity from the reception area. And there in the distance, against clear blue skies, sitting on the balcony as if reflecting, was she; the subject of my restlessness the past few weeks and the sole purpose of this surprise trip. I call her mobile and ask "A penny for your thoughts?" She is perplexed… then turns till I come into her direct line of sight. I wave, smiling my widest grin… I hope she’s happy to see me…

We
... soaked up all the sights and sounds the next 3 days - the temples, pagodas, a brief look into life under the old regime, interacting with the local kids and that one bicycle trip in the drizzle to town at night. I learnt that one of the worst feelings is that of missing someone when the person is just next to you. While I knew deep down that I was never over the love we shared despite the year apart, I never thought the reaction at seeing her again and indulging in a common passion for discovery could be so overwhelming for me. Mostly because we were both happy and excited on this new adventure… and I remembered that we had been this way before. We both had a substantial part to play in our own demise, much larger than what both had chosen to remember. Yes, I see twice as much looking back now...


And I promise myself that I'll never look back again. What was I thinking then. Our demise, for most part, was your doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment